Re: Newbie Questions - Applets, Menus, Panels... Oh My!

Chris> 2. On a side note -- How do I "properly" start Gnome. I have
Chris> read that gnome-session is not completely stable. What is the
Chris> procedure to start so that I get the maximum benefit from Gnome
Chris> and my windowmanager (Enlightenment).

My current .xinitrc has all my old setup (set PATH and other crap) in
it, but I changed it so that the only program it starts is done
thusly:

	exec gnome-session

Of course, there are probably some non-session-aware applications that
you'll want to run when you log in.  For me, these are Emacs and my
window manager.  You can use the session-properties program to create
a list of programs to run at startup (you really only want
non-session-aware programs here).

I believe the session manager is stable enough for general use.
Please report any bugs you find; I do fix them.

If you can remember where you read that gnome-session is not stable,
please tell me.  I think that is incorrect and should be changed.

Thanks,
Tom