Re: Announce: gnome-utils/mini-utils/guname now use libgtop

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Martin Baulig wrote:

> multi-CPU status, disks etc. probably belong in GTop.
>
> Well, multi-CPU status - as soon as our two-processor machine at the
> university is repaired I think I'll add multi-CPU status to libgtop,
> so we can use it in GTop.

I agree - I'd like guname's information to be the system specifications,
not the system status. So when a newbie is asking for help, and the helper
asks "what kind of system do you have?" or "what are your partitions?" "or
how much RAM do you have?" or whatever, they just choose "Mail To" from
guname and mail all that stuff to whoever is helping them out.

There are other possible uses, e.g. if you're selling your computer you
could just "Save As" the system specs and use those to advertise, etc. but
tech support is the main one I had in mind. Oh, also if you sit down to
use a new machine and want a quick tour it's nice. I usually end up
reading /proc/cpuinfo, etc. when I sit down at a machine.

Hmm... I wonder if we could get the video card (and other PCI) information
from /proc on Linux. Should this be in libgtop? Does any other system
provide this information? I guess there's other stuff that would also be
nice; setserial output comes to mind.

Havoc