Re: keyboard

---Havoc Pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Example of an interface to a preferences widget to edit
> keybindings. I think having to pop up a dialog for each
> change a la stock_demo is a little bit sucky. But I don't
> really have a better idea, so maybe an example would help.

For keybindings in an application (like Alt-Q being quit, or Alt-O
being File Open), The GIMP has a really cool way to do it.

You pull down a menu with your mouse, and while you are over let's say
"File Open...  Ctrl-O", you just press the key combination you want to
bind with that menu item.  So if you press Alt-O, the menu item
changes to "File Open...  Alt-O", and Alt-O is now your shortcut for
File Open.

Check it out in The GIMP if that explanation is too opaque.

Obviously this does not solve the problem of binding things in all
applications, or remapping Ctrl to Alt or something, but it's a start.

matt