Re: Speech Recognition

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking for some OSS speech recognition and hmm library I could integrate to
> GNOME next year, I found the following message on the DDLinux Speech
> Recognition  List (which is very Town Coucil oriented btw):
>
> dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk said:
> // I am a researcher in the field of continuous speech recognition for
> // more than 3 years and work on a speech-recognition engine like Dragon
> // Systems NaturallySpeaking or ViaVoice for Linux. The system is called
> // EasySpeech and has reached the status of a completely working
> // researcher application and will soon move towards a user-application.
>
> // I always planned that private usage under Linux will be completely
> // free while commercial usage will be non-free. No source code will be
> // available, but C/C++ interfaces and code in form of libraries will be
> // public.
>
> // I've spoken with one main developer of KDE and we plan to integrate
> // the recognition engine step by step into Qt or KDE. First working
> // applications might be available soon. A portation to IRIX has been
> // already finished, a port to Sun/solaris is on the way to be finished.
>
> // I will indicate progress of applications very soon on my own web
> // pages.
> // Greets, Stephan

I would suggest someone point this person to Cygnus's CygWin32 website and
show him how they can open up the source with GPL, and still make money
off of commercial distribution.  I would love to see such a product being
used in GNOME, but not if it is closed source as described.  I suspect
most of us here feel similar.

-Gleef