Re: how should po/Makefile be created?

Brandon S. Allbery writes:
 > If you do have it, check what the installed share/gettext looks like ---
 > unless you already have the right tree structure, configure stuffs up and
 > creates bogus install code.  If share/gettext contains filenames beginning
 > with `intl-' then it's stuffed; remove share/gettext completely, then recreate
 > it with subdirectories `intl' and `po', then re-configure and reinstall
 > gettext.
 >
 > I found that Makefile.in.in still didn't go in the right place even then, you
 > will have to manually move it from the `intl' to the `po' subdirectory after
 > installing it.
 >
 > (Assembled GNOMErs:  the above is seriously weird.  But a look at our old
 > gettext installation demonstrates that it has the same configure/install bug.
 > Or am I missing something that is supposed to be obvious?)

This is a bit of a shot in the dark since I am working on a Linux
host but the text of the ABOUT-NLS file in the new gettext
distribution looks like it might hold the key to these problems.
It seems that the new configure scripts try to use whatever you have
installed on your system (old gettext, catgets, gnu gettext) so
if you install gnu gettext over the top of one of the others you
might well end up in a mess.

Felix