Re: gnome-lib autogen.sh error.

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998 cummings@adelphia.net wrote:

> Here is one I can't grok at all. I have been building gnome-libs for
> some months now with out a hitch the only difference lately have been
> the move to RH5.2 .
>
> I have made and installed audiofiles,esd,gtk+,imlib,glib all in
> /opt/gnome.
>
>  gnome-libs]# ./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome
> --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome --with-esd-prefix=/opt/gnome
> processing .
[...snip...]
> checking for esd-config... (cached) no
> checking for ESD - version >= 0.2.5... no
> *** The esd-config script installed by ESD could not be found
> *** If ESD was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> *** your path, or set the ESD_CONFIG environment variable to the
> *** full path to esd-config.
> checking for afOpenFile in -laudiofile... (cached) no

See those "(cached)" notes.  That means it is not really checking for the
esd-config, it is using the answer found in a prior configure.  First,
make sure that esd-config is in the path.  If it isn't, then either
modify the path so it can find esd-config, or set the ESD_CONFIG
environment variable as described above.  Also check to make sure that
ld.so.conf contains the directory with libaudiofile.  Then try removing
the config.cache file, it should now do a fresh check for esd-config and
afOpenFile.

> checking for orbit-config... (cached) /usr/bin/orbit-config
> checking for orbit-idl... (cached) /usr/bin/orbit-idl
> checking for working ORBit environment... (cached) yes
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> sed: file conftest.s2 line 40: Unterminated `s' command

I haven't seen this error before.  Hopefully someone else knows this
problem.  If this doesn't clear up when you fix the esd-config problem,
you might want to try downgrading sed to the version you had when it was
working, to see if the problem is with the RH5.2 sed.

[...snip...]
> There is nothing in Makefile
That sounds more like the result of the sed problem than the esd-config
problem.  No esd, no sound support, but everything should still compile.

> I am passing in the prefix for esd yet it still cannot find the config
> file but this is the output I receive from the command
>
> gnome-libs]# /opt/gnome/bin/esd-config --version
> 0.2.7

Again, make sure esd-config is in your path.

> any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get back on line soon.

I hope I've been of help.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef