Re: hats off + app-finder

> I don't know how GNOME looks for applications.  Clearly it does
> something.

You just need to drop a file in the right spot on the file system and
GNOME will pick it up.

Similar in spirit to /etc/rc.d; similar in spirit to PAM's setup (drop
a file in somewhere/pam.d);  similar in spirit too to /etc/cron.*
directories and /etc/profile.d

> However, what it does seems to not quite cut the mustard.  Could
> somebody explain the 5WH about GNOME finding applications, and add any
> comments w/r/t how it could be improved?

Stick your .desktop file in $gnome_prefix/share/apps.

Best wishes,
Miguel.