What time does the freeze begin?

I was wondering exactly what time the freeze begins?  After the freeze,
what changes are allowed, and what changes are not?  Exactly what packages
will be frozen?  Is the API frozen or the underlying implementation, or both?

Hypothetically suppose [grin] I've never been very fond of the file selection
dialog box.  I'd like to change it to look and act more like the one found
under Windows NT, which I think is rather nice.  Lets suppose I code this
change up as a drop in replacement.  Is that permitted if the file selection
API stays the same?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/