Re: File selection dialog changes

> Yipes!  Think this one through very carefully!  Consider the
> following quote from the Interface Hall of Shame, in a section
> devoted specifically to addressing the faults with Windows'
> common dialogs:
>
> http://www.iarchitect.com/file95.htm
>
>>   Attention Deficit Disorder
>>
>> An application uses the common Open File dialog simply
>> to allow you to specify the file to be worked on.  Why
>> is it then, that the Open File dialog allows you to
>> rename files, delete files, create new folders, send
>> files to the printer, send a fax, save a file to a
>> floppy disk, try to convert a bitmap file to an Excel
>> spreadsheet, edit a file with a different application,
>> create an e-mail message. and so on, all while the
>> calling application is waiting for the name of the file
>> you want it to work on? This is bizarre!

Picture this:

You are just about to save a file and realize that you want to save it
as "file.txt". The problem is that you already have a file named
"file.txt". Of course, you save it as "file2.txt" and then starts a
filemanager and renames "file.txt" to "file_old.txt" and then renames
"file2.txt" to "file.txt". Then you close the filemanager and get back
to your application.

Compared to: right-click "file.txt", rename it to "file_old.txt", save
your new file as "file.txt"

Or this:

You are just about to save a file when you realize that it should
probably be in a directory of its own because it belongs to a new
project your working on. Oh, then start the filemanager again and
create the proper directory, close filemanager, go back to
the application you were working with and go to that directory, save
the file.

Same with deleting files.

The more extreme things that are mentioned in the hall of shame is
probably just confusing and shouldn't be in the dialog though.

This would of course have to wait to 1.1 but I still think it's a nice
feature. Especially for users that don't feel like home in front of a
shell. Most of the people reading this list, including me, would
probably take care of everything in on of the always open
shells. But that's not what gnome is about, is it?

Just my two euros or whatever ;-)

/Richard