Re: CVS doesn't like its own checkouts???

Yes, I remember this too.  I wrote to Jeff Garzik (since I gathered he
was MUCH more knowledgeable on this stuff than I) and he said, yes, use
checkout all the time -- because in the worst case it just does the same
thing as update, but in the best case it prevents some nasty bug with
submodules.

shane