Re: Known bugs, bug reporting

Quoting Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com>:

> Best way to report a bug, since Jitterbug is a tad cumbersome and doesn't
> seem to have worked for ages: post to gnome-list, try to condense all your
> bugs into one message and title it "[BUGLIST]" or something obvious. :)

I don't know if you are interested in a replacement system, but the
Debian bug tracking system works very well. It is very easy for people
to use (just send email to some address like bugs@gnome.org), each
bug gets its own email address for folks to discuss the bug all they
want (i.e. 24053@bugs.gnome.org ). It is nicely web integrated (see
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/ ) where all the discussion on each bug can
be seen by all that care to look.

It is very easy and low effort to maintain (closing a bug is as
simple as sending email to i.e. 24053-done@bugs.gnome.org, and closing it
automagically sends an email to the package maintainer, and the bug
sumbitter)

And, of course, it is GPL'ed. It has worked very well, and (IMHO) is
much easier to use and maintain then Jitterbug.

You can download it from http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debbugs/

I think this would be a powerful addition to gnome, especially since, as
you say, jitterbug is cumbersome and just isn't being used. It really
works great and i think it would make bug tracking for gnome actually
happen...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/