Re: Gnome/Linux Application Installer

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, David Jeske wrote:
[...snip...]

> However, this is not supposed to turn into a 'I don't need it because
> I do XYZ' kind of discussion. The system as a whole should be capable
> of doing a super-set of the things which are needed in the real
> world. Windows right now does a better job of app installation than
> UNIX, do we want to keep it that way? We need to stop hard-coding stuff.

I think most people will agree that there is room for improvement in how
Unixes in general, and Linux in particular handles program installation
and filesystem organization.  I think the Windows model is inferior, but
that is my opinion, you are welcome to yours.

What you don't seem to be understanding is that while there is room for
improvement in the Unix world regarding this, GNOME is not the place to do
this improvement.  It is WAY WAY beyond the scope of GNOME, and is a
matter for the standards bodies.

If you are serious about this, actually deal with the standards bodies.
The commercial Unixes follow (to varying degrees), the Unix Trademark
standards set by the OpenGroup (http://www.opengroup.org).  Most Linux
distributions have agreed to follow the standards set forth by the LSB
group (http://www.linuxbase.org).  Since LSB is a work in progress,
now is the time to present your arguments to them.  I don't know what the
*BSD groups use for their standards, but if both OpenGroup and LSB
implement something, they will have some pressure to follow.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef