Re: GNOME Bugtracking System

Erik Andersen <andersen@inconnect.com> writes:

> You just send email to submit@bugs.debian.org (instructions are at
> http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting.html but most folks just use the
> "bug" script. It would go something like this:
>     bug gnome-libs
> and vi/emacs/editor of choice starts up and you describe the problem.
> you closethe editor, and off goes the bug report. How much easier could
> it get?

This sounds really good - I just did some tests with Jitterbug and now I'm
convinced that it's really, really, really brain-dead and I started hating it:

* You can set the notification of the incoming folder, of cause - but this
  doesn't help very much, not the actual bug report but a notification
  message with the bug report appended to it is sent to this address.

* If the person receiving this notification replies to it (with a thread-aware
  Newsreader like Gnus is) this will end up as a new (!!) bug report in the
  incoming folder

* Even when using 'download message' in the bug tracker itself to download
  the message and then reply to it with a thread-aware Newsreader this will
  end up as a new bug report in the incoming folder

* Yes of cause, if you have a Jitterbug account you can choose 'compose reply'
  (does this work for guest users as well? I guess it does not) to send the
  person who created the bug report a reply - but there's no way do discuss
  this bug in a wider audience like a mailing list.

* All bugs end in the incoming folder until someone looks at them or until
  hell freezes over - well if you type `bug gnome-libs' with this new debian
  bug tracker this sounds like it automatically sorts the bugs ..

* ... and finally, for people with low bandwith this web-based Jitterbug isn't
  very comfortable you have to stay online all time while using it and it
  isn't very fast if you live in Europe ...

So I thing we should really use this new thing and forget about Jitterbug -
perhaps someone should have a look at it to save all bugs that are still
current ...

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/