Re: GMC Network

I think the best feature of the win32 fs is the use from the unc name
system.
You can open or save a file from the server without mapping a drive letter
(like mounting in unix.)

If we can provide a same system to gnome or linux kernel this would be a
great step. We could use the url like sytle for identifying the protocol,
server and directory.

I dont kown what exactly the vfs in the mc is, but here a idea how i want to
use networkfs.
(i am work a long time on windows, and only a few month at linux.)

A sample:
if you want to open a file in or word processor, you write a file name like
smb://server/work/myfile.doc in the opendialogbox
(or http://server/work/myfile.doc or save or work on
ftp://server/work/myfile.doc)

This implemenation of open, save files, and list directorys is a straight a
way. Opening a file in a browser like netscape from the local mounted system
or getting the file from a http, ftp,smb or nfsserver make no difference.
The browser uses always the os implemented function to open a file or browse
a directory.

Is there a user logon required there should be a seperate logon procedure,
and logoff procedure avaible.

This way should only alternative way to specify and working with network
filesystems. The mapping a drive or mounting a filesystem should be only a
shortcut for users to easy access and find there documents.

Harald Holzer