RE: Mix of Ideas (Please read the first lineas at least to decid

># Newsreader
>
> I think that a good newsreader is a must.
> The problem I see with current readers is that you must use a news server
> only (or install one in you dial up computer and retrieve lots of MB).
> Someone has knows another way?
>
> Have someone seen Free Agent (Windoze)? It is a offline newsreader, that
> downloads the news you want, nothing more. I think that a newsreader of
> this
> kind will be very interesting (specially if you pay phone bills in a "per
> min" base).
>
> The solution I see is a newsreader that stores a list of requests from
> users
> and when there is connection (maybe when root or user launchs a "getnews")
> it downloads all.
>
> The news are then stored in a common dir, where all users can read them
> (even if they not requested them). Users can lock some news to avoid
> deletion (except by root commands), so they will stay for future reading.
>
> When a user wants more news, the list is redefined and in next connection,
> etc, etc...
>
> The reason for "low traffic, dynamic, common news dir" and a set of app
> that
> uses them (getnews, newsclient, and maybe a newsmonitor for root tasks) is
> because it provides a good performance for home users (Free Agent works
> really fine with my 28.8K), even if the computer is used by two or three
> ppl
> (family, *friends) or one person with different accounts (like me: povuser,
> root, normal).

        Hi

Just last night I was thinking about this. I was asked sometime ago to create
a Web <-> News interface (very low priority project so I'm just about to
start picking it up) with requesites like that, so i thought I could have 2
versions: the Web one and a Gnomified one. My only problem is that i've never
done nothing using gtk (can it be done using C?), but I'm willing to start
working on this (Warning : It will be done slowly, I have a full time job with
a very big project in hands and the boss is breathing down my neck right
now... but there is another person here who is also interested in working
with me on this ).

        So if you are interested just let me know...

        mjnf@uevora.pt
        http://neptuno.sc.uevora.pt/~mjnf