Re: Mico Performance && Re: mico RPMS

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Benedikt Heinen wrote:

> > > It takes quite awhile to compile. about 35min on my ppro 200 w/ 32MB
> > > and w/o X and hardly anything else running.
>
> > Kewl.  I have a lowly P75, and it'd take quite a while to compile :)
>
> Well, I guess the compilation would take longer on a P75, OTOH a ppro200 isn't
> everything that determines the speed of compilation. My system (2xPPro200 w/
> 128MB w/ X11, 3 RC5-clients, X11, Adabas D, Roxen Challenger, top and all
> kinds of other "standard gadgets" running) compiles Mico (without using make
> -j2  over both CPUs) in 17mins flat. I guess, this just goes off to show, how
> important RAM is... Judging from the "top" running during compilation, the
> make job occupied its CPU, while all my other "gadgets" were on the other
> one.
>
> Still, in this case you can half the time required for this by getting some
> more RAM, I think 32MB are the same to g++ as 4 MB for are linux -- too
> little... ;)

I have a P-120 w/16MB of ram.  MICO took ~8 hours to compile.  I account
this to the fact that c++ itself takes up 20-30 MB of ram when in use...

I think we should CORBA-fy c++ - we have the client send over the source
code to our GNOME compute server object and the server returns the .o
files, etc.  We will need some method in the client for sending the server
requested system header files and libraries.  Just kidding.

--
Shawn T. Amundson		Complete Internet Solutions
Senior Systems Administrator	Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

while (i) { last }
    i, do exist.
    forever;