RE: ANNOUNCE: Style Guide available for review.

At 03:10 PM 2/12/98 -0700, Paul Hepworth wrote:

>Also, some applications are a more logical fit for a modal dialog rather
>than a traditional menu-adorned window.  These should contain at least
>one of Close/Okay/Cancel buttons, and if a menubar is not provided, a
>Help button.
>
>(Can we force window managers to provide a [?] button for use with short
>"what is this?" popup descriptions?  If so, all controls shall respond
>to the "what is this" message.)

My wm ( a hacked up icewm) has only one frame button - kill. And afterstep
(and any NeXt clone) has two buttons. No way would I sully a users choice
of wm with a [?] button. Besides, I have seen this under win95. Not only do
some progs not support it, those programs that do, often do not have it
available to every widget in the window! It is just a long tooltip anyway.
And not necessary. If an app has a menubar, it must have a help menu. If a
dialog-type app has no menubar, it must provide a help button. Doesn't this
tool help really belong in the documentation anyway?

M.Watson redline at pdq dot net