Re: Just my 0.02$ on sound and stuff...

J. Patrick Narkinsky wrote:

> [ mucho text raving about this stuff deleted ]
>
> You realize that this pretty much already exists?  It was done by NCD way
> back when.  Not sure whether it's GPL tho, and it doesn't support MIDI.

Yes, and the X audio system, which I think is better, was based
on NAS (and hopefully an improvement). In the docs they say
they had it (and it's limitations) in mind when designing
the X audio system. It has a lot of potential, IMHO, to
become THE standard for UNIX audio (as X has become for
graphics). Some might argue, however, that this is not
a good thing.

MIDI (or more generally, event-based musical data) could be
added as an extension to the X audio server.

Unfortunately, it is not finished.

> Patrick

> J. Patrick Narkinsky | God doesn't like intellectual slackers any
>                      | better than he likes any other kind of slacker.
>                      |                          - C.S. Lewis

	Peter.