Re: Imlib 1.1.......

Raster, I would like to suggest that you fix some badly broken stuff
in gdk_imlib and Imlib's configure.in (I'm using the copy in the CVS
repository).

I notice that, in particular, you have this macro which checks for
libraries, but it only checks for them in a *fixed list* of prefixes!!
It looks like you are trying to do imake within autoconf :-)

This is a bug, because any sysadmin should have the power of choosing
a the prefix for local installs (I use /packages, for example), as
long as they set PATH, LIBRARY_PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
C_INCLUDE_PATH appropriately.  The autoconf paradigm supports this
approach robustly.

More in general I recommend that you do a "typical"
configure.in/Makefile.am setup: this allows all sorts of cool stuff,
such as srcdir != builddir and so forth.  I have heard you speak
against it, but the writing is on the wall.  autoconf is robust, imake
is not.

Let me know if you would like more detailed suggestions on making the
configure.in files better.