Re: Reflections on Gnome from longtime GUI User..

[moved over from gnome-gui-list]

>  I'm the (unofficial) meintainer of gnome-mines and same-gnome... I miss too the
>  help menus at the right, now some people (marc and drmike, maybe?) are working
>  on the help system, so in the next versions of these games the help is going
>  to be there (well, when i write some docs for them... :-) )

This is trivial to do.  If you use a GtkMenuFactory, you should
gtk_menu_item_right_justify() the help item.  If you use the Gnome
menu builder functions, they should align the help menu to the right
(if they are not doing this yet, they should be fixed; it's a one-liner).

>  Err, some Gtk+ people is working on it. And afaik the DPS work is going to
>  help us getting wysiwyg apps...

I stopped working on DGS/GtkDPS because we need to finish the file
manager and get the current apps working as soon as possible.  I
didn't play much with GtkDPS, but it seems to be fairly complete.

DGS *does* need work.  If someone wants to hack on it, several things
have to be done:

	- Update the dgs in the cvs repository to the latest snapshot
	  from ftp.net-community.com.

	- Check the TODO list to see what needs to be done.

Last time I checked, DGS was lacking multiple contexts support.  This
should not be hard to do; just a bit of grunt work.  All of gs's state
variables should be shoved into a structure so that you can have
several of them and you can select among them for the different
contexts.

As far as the Nextstep extensions to DPS, I don't know what needs to
be done.

Please, I would be grateful if someone could continue this work.  A
couple of months from now I may restart work on the presentations
program, which is going to use GtkDPS, and it would be extremely cool
to have all the DPS issues flushed out by then.  Also, some people who
are working on WYSIWYG apps will find this work immediately useful.

  Quartic