Embrace and Extend was: Drag and drop protocol in Gtk?

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Point (3) about the overhead of the drag and drop protocol:  I do not
> really think that this extra "overhead" [1] is worth being
> incompatible with Qt/KDE and the JX protocol.

	Ya know I think we should borrow a nice little design trick from
"that company" for purposes of good and not of evil.  That being "embrace
and extend".  We embrace KDE compatibility with Xdnd and extend it by
providing extra drag and drop functionality and standards compliance of
Xde or/and Motif.  Gnome could be the rosetta stone of X drag and drop!
For instance if I wanted to drag something from Netscape to Kde I would
drop it into a gnome app (which would, in the future would support motif
drag and drop) and then would drag that into some kde application.  This
would also support integrateing stuff from kde and netscape in the same
document?  Is there some sort of abstract interface to dnd planned for
gnome to support both of these standards transparently?

<C++ Advocacy>
C++ would be a great language to implement this in  as you could return a
object with a base type of GDragItem such as GMotifDragItem or
GXdeDragItem that would have the proper virtual functions to implement the
various protocols.
</C++ Advocacy>

| Justin Sher         |  "No appeal to any historical or empirical     |
| Programmer/Analyst  |   consideration can discover any fault in the  |
| NDST Communications |   proposition that men aim purposefully at     |
| email:	      |	  certain chosen ends." 		       |
|  justin@ndst.com    |            -Ludwig Von Mises                   |
|                     | 	         "Human Action"                |