devel-doc, gdoc, etc

Tonight I started looking at the document extraction code.

It would be nice if gnome-libs/devel-docs/gdoc/README actually had a
URL for the c2man sources.

In devel-docs/Makefile.am I see this:

	libgnomeui.sgml:
		if [ -x `which gdoc` ]; then \

This is bad.  I'm told that `test -x' is not portable.  Also, on many
systems (that aren't Linux), "which" is a csh script that should
probably just be avoided.

If `gdoc' has a `--version' option (or some other harmless "are you
there?" option), then a better test is:

	if $(SHELL) -c 'gdoc --version' >/dev/null 2>&1; then ...

You have to use the weird SHELL circumlocution to work around a bug in
some versions of sh.

If gdoc doesn't have such an option, we should patch it so that it
does.  This is ok since we're already patching this program.

I'll send more comments once I find c2man.  I have some concerns about
the overall plan of extracting docs from headers, but I want to see if
c2man addresses them before I mention them here.

Tom