Re: more thoughts on GNOME documentation

Mark Galassi <rosalia@cygnus.com> writes:

> I spent a bit of time trying to figure out how we should strucutre
> documentation for GNOME so that we can print out a nice book which
> would document the user interface, the APIs, the individual programs
> and so forth.

My gut feeling is that we don't really want a hierarchy of
documentation, rather, we need independent components, which can be
included in documentation "threads".

E.g installation instructions for a modem would go into instructions for
setting up an ISP, as well as for setting up a fax service, so the modem
"component" could be linked in into both these documents.

Also, one should with SGML be able to search for a "documentation
component" with some particular information (talks about software
package named so-and-so), but also restricting it to the correct *type*
of component (e.g installation instructions, software configuration, etc.)

~kzm