Re: Games (faking scores and things btw)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, [iso-8859-1] Horacio J. Peņa wrote:

> Having worked in session-management support for same-gnome i'm facing a
> pretty problem. It's the same problem all saved games have. The users
> can edit them. So anyone can have 100,000 points (5 times the best score
> possible...) or more very easily...
>
> What can we do? I think that we've four options:
>
> 1. Ignore the issue. But if we ignore it why take the effort of checking that
> the program that wants writing into the score-log is a real gnome program?
> 2. Have a wrapper (suid games) that writes the saved games. But, more SUID
> things?

Have you even looked at the details of the gnome-score stuff? It already
uses an sgid wrapper that (should) work quite well. Perhaps the problems
result from you doing 'make install' as non-root?

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.