Re: Scroll bars.

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

:On 27 Jan, K. shouted:
:->  On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Aaron wrote:
:->
:->  > Mmmm.. that'd be an incredible idea, allowing you to 'middle click' in
:->  > file dialogs, etc, switch to the 'hand cursor', and scroll the window up
:->  > and down.  You wouldn't have to worry about being accurate, it'd be
:->  > convenient and fast, and you'd have the option of never touching those
:->  > scroll bars.
:->
:->  Does anyone know how those new mice with the roller for the middle button
:->  work? I have a feeling they're simply middle button + y movement, but I'm
:->  not sure. If they use another button (like the new logitech 4 button mice)
:->  then perhaps separate support could be put in for them (with the 4th
:->  button supported in X).
:
:The 4 button logitech mice send middle buton, it seems for the 4th
:button - well at least they do in X. It's a shame. I can verify this. I
:have one.
:
:The "Wheel" mice send buttons 4 &5 when you move the roller up and down.
:At least thats what I gather from what I've heard. Does ayone have one
:to verify this?
:

I seem to remember this discussion on the XFree mailing lists a couple of
months ago.  Apparently, the little wheel on the mouse counts as three
buttons.  ( click, roll up, roll down ).  This, when used on a three
button mouse counts as six buttons.  Apparently, the X protocol only
supports five buttons which presents some problems.

So that probably means that the little roller are buttons 3 + 4 + 5.

--Chris

Christopher Blizzard
AppliedTheory Communications, Inc.
http://odin.appliedtheory.com/