Re: virtual desktops/panel & windowlist

> 1.  The panel is great--but I think a lot of people are going to want
> to have a virtual-desktop applet embedded in it.  If I understand
> things correctly, such a pager requires direct integration with the
> window manager... so how would one accomplish this w/o a standard
> window manager for gnome?  I guess one would have to write a different
> pager backend for each window manager? (or am I missing something?)

Actually, one way to handle this is to write a panel applet which can
embed the windows of other applications. With the gtk embedding
support that is now availlable, this should be fairly easy. Then you
would just configure one instance to swallow the window manager's
pager window. As an alternative, specific adaptors might be written
for some window managers which understand the window manager's
external program protocol, for those that have one. But it wouldn't be
strictly necessary.

> 2. I read jim pick's ideas about switching between windows much like one
> switches between buffers in emacs.  My impression is that this also is
> really the domain of the window manager.

There is no technical reason why this would need window manager
support. All it needs is the same gtk embedding support mentioned
above.

 - Maciej