Re: gdk_imlib problem

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 11:38:43AM -0400, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Geoff Harrison wrote:
>
> > You don't accidentally have a .deps directory that was created there, do
> > you?
> > that could potentially cause problems like this.
> > rm -rf .deps and try again
> ../gdk_imlib/.libs/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_set_sBIT'
> ../gdk_imlib/.libs/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_set_IHDR'
> ../gdk_imlib/.libs/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_get_valid'
> ../gdk_imlib/.libs/libgdk_imlib.so: undefined reference to `png_get_IHDR'
> make: *** [imlib_config] Error 1
>
> This might relate to that whole "the order of your -l flags can screw you
> up in some mysterious way" phenomenon which I don't understand.  What I
> do know is that the -lpng flag which is prominently in the failing command
> should work from everything I know, to wit:
>
> reflections% nm /usr/lib/libpng.a |grep png_set_IHDR    ~/gnome/cvs/imlib/utils
> 00000120 T png_set_IHDR
>          U png_set_IHDR
>
> And libgdk_imlib.so appears to have been built with -lpng as well.
>
> This I do not understand.

make sure that imlib_config had -lpng linked into it.  that's the problem,
I'm willing to bet.  As far as library ordering, it shouldn't matter on elf
systems -- if you were building on a non elf format platform, it would be
an issue.  But I assume you're building for the linux platform.

--
Geoff Harrison (http://mandrake.net)
Senior Systems Engineer