** ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory </home/torben/.gnome> - aborting

Hello. I'm sure that I've seen the above error mentioned on the list
before, but can't find it there at the moment. (Is there a searchable
archive anywhere?)

** ERROR **: Could not create per-user Gnome directory </home/torben/.gnome> - aborting

Anyway, I don't know what to do about this (get it when trying to run
various things, such as gmailman). It seems to be failing because
~/.gnome already exists--should it perhaps check for this, or is
something else going wrong?

Thanks,

Torben