Re: Understanding applets

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Kasper Peeters wrote:

> Right now, to the Gnome newbie like me, it seems like Gnome artificially
> created two different types of programs: normal ones and applets, mutually
> exclusive. Is that really what's going on, or did I misread the docs?

I think you might be looking at it from the wrong end of the stick.

"You mean I can write an applet, not have to worry about WM interaction,
and have the panel provide all these services for me?  Cool; I didn't
want all that other crap anyway!"

If you wanted to write up an API which makes regular apps swallowable,
or otherwise makes it easier to write dual-purpose apps, then I don't
think that anyone would mind at all.  However, "applets" are suposed
to be just that; something-less-than-full-applications which are
correspondingly easier to write.  I think that that's kind of neat.

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net