Re: Please READ -> GNOME Logo Usage

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Michael Fulbright wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if someone/something needs to trademark the logo winner to
> > protect it. Anyone know?
> >

> Sure, how are you going to have a protected trademark unless someone owns
> the trademark? You have to send out threatening letters every time it's
> used without permission. ;-) Seriously you should email Bruce Perens
> (bruce@pixar.com) he researched all this for the Debian logo. More
> seriously a lawyer should probably be consulted.
Perhaps the Redhat lawyer could consult upon this. As to wheter Redhat
should own the Trademark, I'm not that sure. Me personally, I trust Redhat
enough, but it would probably sound bad to the general public. (That is
already crying that Gnome is a Redhat only thing, that Redhat already has
to much control, etc.) Perhaps the FSF could get the trademark rights.

Additionally, there should be strict guidelines when the trademark can be
used. (Is a commercial fully-Gnome-compliant program entitled?)

Andreas