Re: Some notes on gnome-panel.idl

> 1. Take the state saving code out of gnome-panel.idl, and use the X
> session management for applets.  This has some complications: the
> panel (probably) must become a session manager.  Basically this means
> turning the guts of gnome-session into a library.

what's in tehre nooow is very temporary ... it's just a placeholder for
real state-saving ... since the panel itself can't do any real session
saving it would not be all that great ... I don't think it would be a
session manager ... but there will have to be some interface .. I think
some applets exported form some apps might want to use thhe gsm for
state saving ...

right now it's tehre to tell the applet to save itself before i tell it
to go kill itself

> 2. Expose the relevant bits of the X protocol in an IDL interface, and
> have GNOME::Applet inherit from this new interface.  This might be
> complicated, too, but in a different way.

this has to be more thought out ... what's in tehre right now is for
sure very unsatisfactory .... but it does have the basic save-state
function

> Will we ever want to write a program that can run both as a panel
> applet and as a standalone app?  If so, that might influence our
> choice (or at least how we expose session management to the applets
> themselves).

well for example the launcher applets will msot likely be exported from
the file manager (or any other file manager icon can be on the panel
for that matter ...)

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
While some may have the year 2000  | $ emacs
problem, my 64-bit alpha's got the | bash: emacs: command not found
year 292471208677 problem          | YES!!