building gnome

Hello, I have just subscribed to the gnome lists and am interested i
helping with gnome development.  However, I am having trouble retrieving
and building the sources from the CVS tree.  I have all of the required
software on my machine including GTK 0.99.5.

The web site says:

How to get it
  Available by FTP from ftp://ftp.nuclecu.unam.mx/GNOME/
  Available from Anonymous CVS:

  $ export CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous@cvs.gimp.org:/debian/home/gnomecvs'
  $ cvs login  (there is no password, just hit return)
  $ cvs -z9 checkout gnome

This I have done with no problems, however it does not seem to give me all
of the necessary source directories.  I read the file "HACKING" and it
says:

If you are accessing gnome via CVS, then you will need to take several
steps to get it to compile.  These are:

  cvsroot/gnome# aclocal; automake; autoconf
  cvsroot/gnome# cd guile-gtk; aclocal; automake; autoconf; cd ..
  cvsroot/gnome# cd programs/gemvt; aclocal; automake; autoconf; cd ../..
  cvsroot/gnome# cd programs/freecell; autoheader; aclocal; automake; autoconf; cd ../..
  cvsroot/gnome# touch programs/gnome-hello/gnome-hello.html

However, when I run the first command line I get:

  [carlt@clip gnome]$ aclocal; automake; autoconf
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./intl does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./support does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./libgnome does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./libgnomeui does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./gtk-xmhtml does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./guile-gtk does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./guile-gnome does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./obgtk does not exist
  Makefile.am:9: required directory ./obgnome does not exist
  lib/Makefile.am:20: required directory lib/pixmaps does not exist
  lib/Makefile.am:20: required directory lib/desktop-links does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/cromagnon does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/desktop-properties does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/find-file does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/freecell does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gemvt does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gnome-hello does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gnomine does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gsm does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/logview does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gtt does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/linux-conf does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/network-utilities does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/notepad does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/panel does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/same-gnome does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/scottfree does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gulp does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/phaser-chess does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/gmailman does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/girc does not exist
  programs/Makefile.am:54: required directory programs/test-suite does not exist

Thanks,
Carl Thompson