Re: Joint project mailing list?

Tom Tromey wrote:

> [...]
>
> Of course, we should create the mailing list before sending this out.
>
> Tom

I might be being a little too over cautious here, but I'm not so sure
about setting up the list first and *then* inviting them.

If we go to the KDE people with a list already set up, it might give the
impression that we are attempting to take control of the situation - we
don't want the kde people thinking that we are attempting to impose
standards etc..

 I was thinking more of either (1) asking them before setting up the
list, so that they can be envolved with setting it up as well (e.g.
naming etc..), or (2) have a 'neutral' third party create the list and
extend the invitation to both parties.

I think it's important that both projects feel that the list is for the
mutual benefit of everyone - there are a lot of people with
emotional/political investment in the projects (although thankfully the
developers dont appear to suffer from this affliction) and I'm worried
that some may leap on a chance to suggest that one party was being in
some way unfair.

Like I said, I'm probably just being a bit over-cautious here.

Cheers,

Phil

 Phil Dawes                               |   My opinions are my own
 WWW:    err.. temporarily non-existant   |   and nothing to do with
 Email:  philipd@parallax.co.uk           |      my employer.