Re: Document formats

On 11 Mar 1998, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Todd> If one of these mythical people exists and wants to send me a
> Todd> blurb, then I'm happy to include it.
>
> I don't have a blurb, but I do know of two common problems.

The CVS problems seem to be fairly volatile, much more so than the FAQ.
If someone wanted to start a CVS HOWTO, I'd be happy to point to it
from the FAQ.  Candidate items for inclusion in this as-yet-unwritten
HOWTO are:

	- the names of the modules
	- the dependency tree among them
	- their contents
	- instructions for how to check them out
	- instructions for how to make them
	- a shell script to determine if you have all of the requisite
		support software (automake, etc.) installed, with the
		proper versions (most of them support "--version", no?)
	- a list of the most common CVS errors w/ solutions
	- a list of the most common CVS mistakes

I'd rather not keep all of this in the FAQ; I'm just not up to it.

--
Todd Graham Lewis        Manager of Web Engineering    (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******          MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net