Re: property dialogs

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, raj dutt wrote:

> On 03/20/98, at 03:03 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> >> Many people think that emulating Windows it the right way for Gnome. It
> >> is the same with Exit in the File menu. Gnome has the chance to
> >> implement new ideas, but many people don't want this chance. They want
> >> something that fits exactly in their M$ damaged brain.
> >>
> >Please don't disparge because something follows an older way of doing things!
> >What is right and wrong is not only a matter of what is most efficient or most
>
> sorry bout that, couln't resist :) my point is that while we _should_
> strive to keep up with some standards (even though they might be
> slightly off) i think that innovation has it's place especially if it's
> not major and just takes a few seconds to get used to. gnome is our
> chance to really create something special. something intuitive.
> something great. lets not let the status quo hinder that progress.

I agree. We don't need to follow the M$ way to make something great.

BTW, under M$ windog, the apply button applies only the option on the
current page, the cancel button close the dialog without appling nothing
(and don't ask if you want to apply something), the ok button apply all
the pages and close the dialog, without asking anything.

the right way for me is to have:

apply         -> apply only the option in the current page
apply & close -> apply all the option in the dialog and close it
close         -> close the dialog without appling anything (perhaps ask if
                 you want to apply)

nice, clear, fast.

bye

Gianluca