Re: Sound Events and The Enlightened Sound Daemon

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Yo 'Ric Dude wrote:

> Concerning the inherently sonic apps:  EsounD has a simple
> way to play audio streams.  Basically a socket to the
> server is opened, and as long as data is dumped into the

won't the buffering implied by that induce latency that might not be
acceptable for certain apps? (games with instantaneous sound output, etc)

we might have to do some hairy crap with shared memory and having the
server mmap /dev/dsp.. etc..

> Concerning the sound-extra programs:  EsounD can "cache"
> samples in the server, for later playback by id number.

which would be cool for wavetable cards, did OSS ever develop a standard
api for dealing with samples stored on the card?  /dev/sequencer?  My gus
has been out of commision for a while, so I haven't been playing with it
much.

at any rate, I'd like to be in on the audio planning..

-- zach

007 373 5963