Re: Compile Error in help-browser

    Jeff> When building gnome-core, the build dies in help-browser:
    Jeff> misc.c.  The error? "gzopen", "gzread", and "gzclose" not
    Jeff> defined!  I've even verified that #include <zlib.h> is still
    Jeff> there, and my zlib.h (in /usr/include) defines those
    Jeff> functions.

You should send out an excerpt of the compilation output, but I am
guessing that it was a link error and not a compile error.

The first thing to try is

	make LIBS=-lz

and see if that solves it.  For a more permanent solution you should
look at your config.log (learning to read those takes a *lot* of
practice) and figure out why it failed.  For things like zlib, libpng,
libgif and similar you frequently discover that it's because Red Hat
Linux ships an older version of that library, and when you install the
one that works for GNOME then there is an ambiguity in which one is
being picked up.

I don't remember if the compilation-help FAQ made it into a public
place, but it might (or should) have a water-tight recipe for getting
all those miscellaneous libraries going.  Something like

1. a whole bunch of "rpm -e" invocations

2. a whole bunch of "rm -f" invocations

3. "rpm -i" of all the support packages you can get at
   ftp://ftp.labs.redhat.com/