Misc. comments

Hi!

Just tried out some latest GNOME snapshots -- nice. Here's some comments.

1) Has someone broken the  CVS sources? Daily updates at
ftp.labs.redhat.com appear to have ceased.

2) I was a bit disgruntled about the way things communicate with the
panel. Using a "localhost inet socket" is Bad News(tm) for workstations,
because I don't/can't use networking and hence have no devices configured.
Took me a while to figure out why I couldn't add applets to the panel!

The proper way would be to use a UNIX domain socket. That would also be
more secure. If we want things attaching to the panel over the  network
then fine -- listen on an inet socket too. Like X does.

3) This is a gtk thing I suppose, but anyway... when detatching eg. a
menubar from an application, so it becomes its own borderless window,
there is a very annoying jerk where the the box appears miles away from
where you picked it up. This is on even quite fast hardware. Perhaps gtk
isn't making full use of window manager hints?

4) On the subject of dragging things, if I drag eg. a folder from gmc, it
doesn't land exactly where I drop it. Quite annoying.

I have also been afflicted by some of the problems on the "what needs
fixing" page, but they are clearly known.

I can see GNOME will be a fine desktop, and will try and find some time to
code some fixes/etc. myself!

Cheers
Chris