syncing desktops

My brother-in-law told me that the one application he'd really like to
see on a desktop is a way to synchronize his laptop with some other
machine.  Apparently Windows can do this.  Sounds good to me -- except
I don't have a laptop, and I don't know how these programs work.
Somebody want to give me a clue?

- Do you have to explicitly mark the files you want to sync?
- Do you have to tell it when to synchronize?  Or does it try to be
  smart somehow?

Etc.  Any and all feedback solicited.

In terms of implementation, my basic plan is to use rsync to do the
actual synchronization.  The GUI would just be a simple wrapper.

Does MC have virtual folders?  Ideally what I'd like is just a special
MC folder where the user can drag files he wants to sync.  (If it
doesn't exist, then this would be a good thing to add to MC.  There
are plenty of uses for persistent virtual folders.  E.g.: control
panel, output of `find', recently used documents area, etc.)

Tom