Re: OLE Discussion (was Re: Opendoc)

> If you are so impressed by OLE2, then take a serious look at SOM, DSOM
> and Opendoc. It goes far behind OLE and does most things
> better.

I am not so sure OpenDoc does `most things' better.  When I read IBM's
tutorials on OpenDoc they basically used the following arguments:

	- OpenDoc is based on CORBA which is superior to COM.
	- OpenDoc supports shaped embedded applications.

>From the above two points: we are going to use CORBA, so the first
`technical advantage' of opendoc over ole can be pretty much ignored.
As for having shaped embedded windows:  I see how they can be useful
in a limited number of applications but nothing really important.
Anyways, if we need it, we can add it later.

> DSOM ist a true CORBA ORB and the hole system has not as
> many interface and version problems like the windows stuff (what about
> MS Office 97 - there is a new OLE2-lib and some other programs stopped
> working because of this).

Well, you can probably argue that OLE2 has been under more pressure
than OpenDoc has, now that it is for practical purposes dead.

Miguel