Re: icewm hints, etc...

On Mon, 18 May, 1998 at 10:51:53AM +0200, Marko Macek set free these words:
> Ben 'The Con Man' Kahn wrote:
> >
> > > Except for CDE most other wms use this style of doing multiple
> > > workspaces (fvwm, WindowMaker, kde, ... and icewm).
> > >
> > > Do we really need this? Also, how to implement the user interface
> > > cleanly?
> > >
> > > Maybe WIN_WORKSPACE could be a list of <32 CARD32s and sending a
> > > client message would be interpreted as setting the workspace to only one
> > > of
> > > the available ones. There could be additional messages for
> > > adding/removing
> > > workspaces specified.
> >
> >         Actually, fvwm and all its variants support BOTH virtual desktops
> > and multiple desktops.  Few people use the multiple desktops.  (I
> > certainly don't.)  But they are there, and are well integrated.  I've
> > never tried to see how it works with the sticky bit nor dragging
> > applications to a new desktop.
>
> WIN_WORKSPACE is not related to virtual desktops. It only handles
> multiple desktops (workspaces).

Right.

> The difference between CDE and others is that CDE
> allows one window to be on more than one workspace at the same time (but
> not necessarily on all of them -- this is done by sticky option).

And also ctwm....

> Virtual desktops are (mostly) orthogonal to multiple desktops. (At least
> they should be). I don't (wouldn't) use them (never did except initialy
> while reconfuiguring fvwm). I haven't implemented them in icewm (yet). I
> am not yet sure if any additional hints are needed to support them. I
> have to look at fvwm.

Funny... I use Virtual desktops and almost never multiple workspaces... :-)

I think this discussion should have answered your question in a way, though...
"sticky" functionality belongs to virtual desktops and actually selecting
which windows something appears on belongs to multiple workspaces....

-Toshio
--
badger  \"Life is like a china candy dish, filled with brightly promising
@prtr-13 \ sweets, quickly empited.  lasts longer.  dropped.  it breaks."