Gnome-core compile problems with LEX and/or automake

Hi all --

'Been trying to compile Gnome for about a week now.  About halfway there, but
now I'm really stuck.  I pulled down gnome-core with CVS yesterday and am
unable to configure or compile.  Here's what I get during automake.sh:

processing .
`aclocal' will also look in `macros'
desktop-properties/Makefile.am:863: lex source file used without @LEXLIB@
automake: desktop-properties/Makefile.am: lex source seen but `LEX' not
defined in `configure.in'
automake: desktop-properties/Makefile.am: lex source seen but `AC_DECL_YYTEXT'
not in `configure.in'
processing ./gemvt

... (configure continues normally)

checking whether c++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
./configure: AM_PROG_LEX: command not found
checking for bison... (cached) bison -y

...  (configure continues normally)

creating intl/Makefile
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
Now type `make' to compile the Gnome Core Utilities

Hmm...  Ok. so lex is broken you say?  I uninstalled lex (via RPM -- yes, I'm
running RedHat 5), got myself a copy of the latest version of flex from gnu
and compiled and installed from scratch.  No change.  Way back when I was
having trouble with GTK+ I performed the same
uninstall/reinstall-from-fresh-source drill for automake, autoconf, and
libtool, so I'm pretty sure they are all configured properly.  I'm guessing
automake or autoconf needs some macro??  Now what?

On a possibly related note, I tried to go ahead and do a make anyway, but it
bombs out with:

Making all in panel
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/cedric/gnome/gnome-core/panel'
Computing dependencies for mico-parse.cc...
mico-parse.cc:11: gnome-panel.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [.deps/mico-parse.P] Error 1

I'm assuming this is related to my lex difficulties during autogen, but if not
then I've got another related problem.

Anybody seen this before?

- Cedric