Re: Here's an RPM fix!

I agree that this conflict between the stable/production and development
versions of gtk+ is a problem and certainly has caused me to spend time
"fixing" things that could be spent more productively elsewhere but I think
you may have the "wrond end" of the problem.  Your fix is something that
you or I or others can do themselves.  However, a better fix is for the
gtk+/gnome developers (I hope you are listening) to change the name of the
the gtk+ rpm that is needed by gnome (perhaps to something like gtk+-DEV or
gtk+-gnome or gnome-gtk+.

While there is still a conflict with the development libraries/header
files, at least the regular shared libs can coexist with the above change
(or your fix).

It is too bad that the developers did not consider that their versions of
libraries and other files might have to coexist with "production" versions
and put all of the gnome code into some other directory structure and use
additional PATH and LD_LIBRARY variables.  At some point it may still be
desirable to do this when even developers would like to be able to run both
a "production" version and a "test" version on the same system without
rebooting to a different system (which is what I now do).

Gene