Installation directories and environmental variables

Hi there,

relatively new to Linux, but not an absolute newbie.

Installed Gnome 0.30 via rpms onto a SuSE 5.2 install.  The
gnome directory was placed within the /opt hierachy rather than
/usr/ or /usr/local.

Does this matter?

I have the feeling that it does because although I can get
a gnome-session happening now that I have added /opt/gnome/lib
to the libary_path variable in my profile, the icons in the panel
are not displaying correctly - there are a whole string of errors
including mention of not being able to find anytopmn.

Anything obvious I could check or try?

TIA

Andrew Lucas
University of Oxford