Re: NetLoad applet problems

On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Stephen Robert Norris wrote:

> On 2.0.33 at least, /proc/net/dev contains a count of packets, not bytes...
> That's why I didn't use it. My plan (before real life took up 110% of my time)
> was to use accounting if it was there, and packet counting if not...

Well, byte counting was added to /proc/net/dev on 2.1.xx (don't know where
exactly, on 2.1.114 it's there).

In LibGTop I'm now doing the following:

* get address, subnet and mtu via ioctl calls

* try to get statistics via /proc/net/ip_acct - if this works, return

* otherwise, parse /proc/net/dev, check whether it already has byte
  conting and use it.

* if using /proc/net/dev, errors and collisions are also available ...

In the NetLoad applet I'm using the byte counters from libgtop - and it
this fails, the packet counters (kernel 2.0.xx and no IP accounting).

Martin

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier
   martin@home-of-linux.org, http://www.home-of-linux.org/