Re: glib/libc5

On 24 November, 1998 - Stephen P. Smith sent me these 0.5K bytes:

> I have a slackware linux distrib. with libc5 on it but no glib.  OK, it
> is slackware 3.0 with a 2.0.35 kernel.
>
> If I put glib on the machine, am I likely to break something.  I would
> like to install gnome.

You might be confusing glibc with glib. They are not affiliated in any
way (other than parts of the name...). Glib shouldn't compromise your
stability in any way.

> BTW, I hear that glib is available on ftp.gtk.org but I can't find it.

If you plan on running the (currently) stable releases of Gimp/gnome you
want gtk 1.0.x, which includes glib 1.0.x. Otherwise, the development
versions of gimp & gnome uses the development version of gtk/glib (which
are separated now..)

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student of Computer Science at the University of Umeå