[Fwd: Q: control-center and CORBA]

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > What is the advantage of using CORBA in programs like the
> > control-center?
>
> Originall the control center was going to use shared libraries and a
> new way control-center specific way of comunicating with their control
> applets.
>
> Since CORBA is pretty good at communicating things and our particular
> implementation of CORBA (ORBit) is so thin, we can afford to use CORBA
> every time we want to communicate things and provide APIs.  Using
> ORBit means that we dont have to reinvent a communication protocol
> every time one is required.

I don't understand why we need a protocol at all. capplets are
programswith one application window (no menu, no toolbar, no status bar)
and
5 buttons (try, revert, ok, cancel, help). It's simply not necessary to
to communicate
with the control center?

Beside that I don't like the user interface of the control-center. I
think we
don't need it. Maybe it's better to use the file manager for this job -
Install all capplets in a separate directory, then invoke the file
manager on
that subdir - maybe with a special mode (like in MS-Windows 3.1).