Re: CORBA interface to gnome calendar

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > Does anyone have a document describing a CORBA interface for gnome
> > calendar?  I am interested in one that can be used to fetch data WITHOUT
> > connecting to the X server?  I didn't see any OMG docs with an interface
> > for a calendar program.
>
> There are two issues here:  You want to talk to the GUI that actually
> implements the GNOME calendar or you want to talk to the backend that
> stores yoru events?

I want to talk to the backend that stores events.  I imagine an interface
for the GUI should be separate.

> As suggested by Daniel's posts I think you both guys are thinking
> about a calendar server.   There is an standard for calendaring
> facilities over the network being defined now (it is pretty stable
> these days).  Federico can tell you more abotu this.

I don't really care about the network.  I want to be able to get
appointments from the users standard calendar tool so I can write a
generic conduit for the DateBook app on the Palm Pilot.  With a good CORBA
interface I can write a generic conduit that will talk to any back end the
user is using that implements this interface.  Right now I am content in
assuming it will be gnome cal.  The reason I don't want the GUI to pop up
is because the gpilotd runs in the background.  If someone runs gncal
while I am accessing the records then there is no reason the same server
can't pop up a gui(It also saves me the hassle of file locking).  I think
this may be useful in other apps too, so I could add this functionality to
libgnorba.

> Miguel.

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown