Re: wm does not run via gnome-session (addition)

Alex> Given the advice to choose session-aware WM to solve the problem
Alex> at hand I've been tried enlightenment and Window Maker. But this
Alex> gave no results - if starting X via gnome-session, it brings
Alex> default WM for the first time, but misses it after logout and
Alex> subsequent login. Maybe I have missed something in basic X11
Alex> setup, which allows gnome-session to detect WM currently
Alex> running?  Or maybe WM's should be compiled in some special way?

No and no.

Alex> Anyway, it does not insert WM into ~/.gnome/session list (as
Alex> well as mentioned before background-properties-init etc....).

Yes.  A program that is invisible to the session manager (and to
smproxy) will not show up in the session list.  This shouldn't be a
suprise.

Most window managers fall into this category, as does GNU Emacs.

This is no big deal.  Either launch them from your .xsession, or do
what I do and use the session-properties program to indicate that you
want to run them.

If you succeed at this, your session file will have a section like
this:

    [preload]
    0=emacs -geometry 80x60-57+18
    num_preloads=2