Re: /usr/local/bin/glib-config ...

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Michael Meeks wrote:

> seemingly flawlessly as a normal user. Strange indeed, upon editing
> /usr/local/bin/glib-config to point to /opt/gnome ( as root ) it now
> works. Whats up with this, I don't understand ?

Agree with the other posters, looks like a PATH problem. If that doesn't
work, check config.log as it says.

> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Havoc Pennington wrote:
>
> 	I am extremely happy to uninstall Gnome first, but eg. I have
> never had to uninstall my kernel / C compiler in order to re-compile them
> although I admit that may be an unfair comparison.

The difference is that some of the Gnome packages are libraries, and there
are thus interdependencies between the packages. The main issue is that
header files are installed, and using the wrong headers can be very bad.

> 	Perhaps, perhaps, but it wouldn't take much effort to add this to
> the otherwise excellent CVS compilation FAQ ?

Sure, adding to the FAQ is a good idea. Todd is usually very good about
incorporating suggestions.

> 	Sure, but could it be arranged such that the prefix/share/aclocal
> is used as a default ?

This could maybe be done; perhaps some of the build experts have an
opinion on why or why not.

The most obvious thing is that --prefix is an argument to configure, and
aclocal is run before configure. However autogen.sh could also parse
--prefix I suppose.

The same autogen.sh is shared by all packages, it's in the macros subdir,
so it would be easy enough to add.

> 	Important: If you have installed some binary GNOME packages and
> now wish to develop from CVS you must remove all the packages before
> rebuilding everything from source.

Probably worth adding, yep.

> 	Thanks for your help again, it is much appreciated.

Sure, no problem at all.

Havoc